Word of the Day in Image and Prose

The challenge: photographs and words about the word of the day from dictionary.com. Can i handle it and be creative enough to illustrate simple words? Who knows. But at least I'll expand my vocabulary.

Sunday, March 06, 2005

Nepotism

Word of the Day for Sunday March 6, 2005

nepotism
\NEP-uh-tiz-um\, noun:
Favoritism shown to members of one's family, as in business; bestowal of patronage in consideration of relationship, rather than of merit or of legal claim.

I got a job there as a result of my grandfather being on the board of directors -- a lesson in loyalty here, or, should I say, just plain old nepotism.
--James Carville, Stickin': The Case for Loyalty

The staff was recruited by unabashed nepotism.
--Noel Annan, Changing Enemies

Some custodians have worked their way around more recent nepotism rules by hiring each other's relatives.
--Diane Ravitch and Joseph P. Viteritti, New Schools for a New Century


Nepotism derives from Latin nepot-, nepos, "grandson, nephew." It is related to nephew, which comes from the Latin via Old French neveu.
==================================================
Weekends are hard because I'm locked in the toy store all weekend. these just happen to be what I had near me. If i had an actualy full day, there were several moving company trucks and other illustrations that I would have loved to do. The deli man suggested I find a pic of W and George Sr. but I declined.

Family businesses:
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

the family owned bodega, pizza place, and falafel restaurant-everyone who works at each of these places are related!
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Two cases of ultimate nepotism, both fictional in my books:
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

a href='http://www.blogstreet.com/bin/profile.cgi?url=wdip.blogspot.com'>